A South African Wildlife and Landscape Photography Experience with a difference. This is a very special opportunity for a small group of photographers to share a Fine - Art Photographers Perspective of the African landscape at its wildlife, with John Woodhouse & Tony Hewitt FAIPP
The Tour :
Duration: 13days / 12 nights
Dates: Saturday 9 May to Thursday 21 May 2020
The lure of Africa is one that many have felt, and in this unique opportunity we will be taking a small group of 5 people to experience some of the most amazing wildlife and landscape photographic opportunities available in this magical part of the world. From the ‘Big Five’, Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Rhino & Buffalo, plus Giraffe, Zebra, Cheetah and even more, to the majestic World Heritage Drakensburg Mountains. This trip offers incredible prospects for breathtaking wildlife and landscape photography, including aerial photography from a helicopter.
You will be led on this trip by 2 of Australia’s most celebrated image makers. Fine-Art Landscape photographer & 2013 Australian Professional Photographer of the Year Tony Hewitt and Fine Art Wildlife photographer and 2015 Western Australian Photographer of the Year John Woodhouse, are looking forward to taking a select few into the country of John’s birth.
Private lodges and personal guides will ensure that we have access to the best this mystical land has to offer. Join us as we share our own vision and interpretations of a land of spectacular natural beauty and wildlife. John and Tony will ensure you have exceptional access to extraordinary photographic opportunities and provide expert photographic guidance to assist you in capturing your own interpretations while creating lifelong memories.
This tour is designed for photographers of all levels and experience who are looking to share the African wildlife and landscape experience with a small and passionate group, and explore their own creative vision!
Day One to Day Four: Saturday 9th to Tuesday 12th May 2020
Arrive at Hoedspruit Airport in the Limpopo Province, which is the gateway to the to the Greater Kruger National Park, where you will be met at midday. Transport to Mohlabetsi private game reserve from the airport is about an hour.
We arrive early afternoon with enough time to settle in before the 3.30pm game drive. Returning to the lodge after our sundowners in the bush we are welcomed back by the staff and after a drink around the bar we shower and change and move to the open air boma where dinner is served around a large fire.
Mohlabetsi, is situated in the vast Balule Nature Reserve which is part of the Greater Kruger National Park. The Lodge is small, intimate and extremely comfortable. The emphasis is upon close encounters with the spectacular wildlife.
The days at the Lodge start early, half an hour before sunrise we leave on our morning game drive, with a stop for a welcome coffee after the golden hour we head back to the Lodge for a delicious breakfast around mid-morning. A light lunch is available around 1pm, we can then relax or go on a guided walk with a game ranger. Then it’s time for another thrilling game drive, sundowners in the bush, exciting chatter around the camp fire and off to bed to prepare for another exciting day in the Reserve.
Day Five to Day Eight: Wednesday 13th to Saturday 16th May 2020
We leave on the 13th, after our morning game drive and breakfast, transport takes us to Kruger Mpumalanga airport, in Nelspruit, where we fly to King Shaka Airport In Durban.
Transport by Charter bus then takes us to the world heritage Drakensberg Mountains, where we will be staying at the Cathedral Peak Hotel, which is situated in a beautiful valley right in the heart of the Drakensberg.
We will be spending 4 nights here and will be photographing the incredible landscape from many different locations, including a sunrise shoot on top of the Drakensburg Mountains, and aerial shots from a helicopter. The Cathedral Peak hotel is in the best location and is extremely comfortable with excellent facilities and staff.
Day Nine to Day Thirteen: Sunday 17th to Thursday 21st May 2020
We leave Cathedral Peak on the 17th and travel to Nambiti Private game reserve where we will be staying at the exclusive Elephant Rock Safari lodge, we have the entire lodge to ourselves. The lodge overlooks a waterhole with huge viewing decks, the Thatch Chalets have their own private decks and are some of the most luxurious in South Africa.
Days here start with an early morning drive, back for a hearty breakfast, late light lunch and an afternoon drive with sundowners in some very picturesque locations. Back to the Lodge well after sunset to a welcoming staff offering local sherry ,and a nice warm face cloth to freshen up.
Depending on the weather we can either eat our dinner outside under the stars around a warm campfire or in the lodge. We spend 4 nights here and leave on the morning of the 21st after the game drive and breakfast.
Charter bus takes us back to King Shaka International airpor in Durban, where we will arrive by 3pm.
The Locations :
Both Private Game reserves have the Big 5, and more, and the photographic opportunities are endless, from elephant and giraffe down to the smallest mongoose and the incredibly colourful birds including the Lilac breasted roller.
Mohlabetsi has the reputation for seeing the shy Leopard regularly and Nambiti has the reputation of seeing the endangered Cheetah regularly. Both have excellent viewing and the protocol with vehicles on sightings is very strict guaranteeing the best photographic opportunities without other vehicles in the background as in so many other reserves. In both reserves our group will have exclusive use of the game vehicles with our choice of Game ranger. All meals, game drives, transfers, and rhino levies are included. Alcohol is not included, however, drinks are not expensive at the accommodation we will be staying in.
Further details in regards to itinerary with travel tips and advice on camera gear etc... will be provided once booked.
Pricing (all prices in US Dollars)
• Price per person (each with their own chalet), is USD$9995
• $1995 deposit is required at the time of booking to secure your place
• Final Balance is due in full by 25th January 2020
• All prices are based on single supplement.
• Standard tips are included in fee
• Payment can be made via credit card or funds transfer.
• $500 of deposit paid is non-refundable but can be transferred to future tours.
• If cancellation takes place more than 100 days prior to departure date, tour payment will be refunded minus the $500 non-refundable deposit.
• If cancellation takes place less than 100 days prior to departure date, or in case of “no-shows”, 100% of the tour price will be forfeited.
A minimum number of people must book in order to avoid the tour being cancelled. In the event the tour is cancelled due to insufficient numbers all monies paid will be refunded in full.
Conditions of Travel
• We reserves the right to change or substitute itinerary routes, transport vehicles, staff, accommodation and or activities wherever necessary.
• We will not be held responsible for delays out of our control, such as, but not limited to: severe weather conditions, guest arrival, rescheduling, changes in guest transport arrangements pre or post tour dates on bus, train, plane or cruise ship etc resulting in missed travel connections or loss/damage of personal belongings.
• If elements of the Itinerary are missed in such cases, the tour leader may be required to amend times and itineraries accordingly, and John Woodhouse & Tony Hewitt are not liable for any costs incurred by participants due to such circumstances and no refunds will be given.
• John Woodhouse & Tony Hewitt are unable to guarantee precise arrival and departure times throughout a confirmed tour itinerary. However, every effort has been made to ensure all tour information promoted is listed as correct.
Your Photography Tour leaders
John Woodhouse M.Photog.
Born in South Africa, John lived there until he was 30 years old. He began shooting wildlife from as early as the age of 12, and has since built an enviable reputation in fine-art photography and animal and bird photography. John has also enjoyed many successful years in the commercial and portrait genres.
John speaks the local languages fluently, and is literally at home with the diverse culture. John was recognised as the Western Australian Professional Photographer of the Year in 2015 and has exhibited his Fine Art photography in several solo exhibitions
Tony Hewitt G.M.Photog.
Fine-Art Landscape Photographer Tony Hewitt, has built a professional career across several genres including, Landscape, Fine-art, Travel, & Portrait, and is a Grand Master and Fellow of the AIPP. He is also a past winner of the Australian Professional Photographer of the Year and a sought after presenter and mentor internationally, and has shared his imagery through several solo and group exhibitions.
He has been leading or co-leading photography tours to various parts of the world for the last 20 years and has travelled extensively with both small and larger groups.
• Transfers from Hoedspruit airport and return to King Shaka Airport Durban
• 4WD transport with guide/driver on game drives
• Sightseeing, activities, accommodation
• All meals including breakfasts, lunches and three course dinners. Beautiful fresh, local produce is used as much as possible and we will endeavour to meet all dietary requirements: vegan, vegetarian, gluten free etc.
• On hand photography guidance and presentations from Tony Hewitt and John Woodhouse
• Entry fees to all National Parks & Game Reserves
• Alcohol and other discretionary spending including gifts etc.
• Travel Insurance (proof of insurance required 8 weeks prior to tour commencing)
• Airfares to Hoedspruit / from Durban
• Accommodation before Day 1 and after Day 12
• Transfer or transport to where we meet for the start of tour at Hoedspruit Airport
For assistance with your travel planning we recommend . . . .
For further information please contact:
Phone: Tony on 0411 555508 or John on 0403 000555
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org