Profile // About Tony
Tony is a ‘Grand Master of Photography’ of the prestigious Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP). He is an Honorary Fellow of the AIPP and a Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Professional Photography.
Tony’s career highlights feature over 200 state, and international photography awards. In September 2013 Tony was awarded the prestigious title of Canon AIPP Australian Professional Photographer of the Year, and in the same year received the New Zealand Overseas Photographer of the Year, the Australian Landscape Photographer of the Year and the Western Australian Landscape Photographer of the Year. Tony was also invited to be a Core Artist at the 2013 Ballaratt International Foto Biennali. He was Western Australian Professional Photographer of the Year 2004 and also in 1994.
Tony Hewitt’s photographic journey has seen him explore the genres of Portrait, Landscape, Wedding and Fine Art Photography. He has exhibited both within Australia and Overseas, and has been invited to judge both nationally and internationally since 1995.
With a passion for people, places and pictures, and an instinctive sense of the moment, Tony brings a unique combination of creative skills, award winning photographic vision and simple creativity. ‘Something from nothing’ is a common theme behind images such as those in his Concrete Series, and his Portrait images often look to present the person, within the context of their environment, in simple but revealing ways. In some more recent explorations Tony has enjoyed capturing ‘Abstract Landscapes’, & ‘Altered Landscapes’, which seek to illustrate the hand of man and its’ impact on his surroundings. In 2010 he exhibited jointly in the exhibition “52 Weeks On – the Pilbara Project”, and featured in the publication of the same name. He was an integral part of the South West Light Project and Shark Bay, these projects were outcomes of the travels of the ND5 collaboration. He is currently working with the same colleagues on several new projects for exhibition in 2015, including ‘Earth Matters at the Monash Gallery of Art, and a new exhibition at Maud Gallery in Brisbane featuring ‘North’ & ‘East’, featuring images from the Kimberley region & Lord Howe Island projects.
In addition after a succesful solo exhibiton at Lynton & Kay gallery in Western Australia he has been invited to exhibit once again with his latest solo work available to view in August 2015.
As a professional speaker and presenter Tony has many years of experience. His innate philosophies on photography and vision, together with a broad skill set in the areas of personal and interpersonal communication make him an ideal presenter for almost any conference, photographic or other? He presents on subjects as diverse as repoire and personal awareness, often utilising his amazing images to illustrate various aspects of his message. A qualified Master Practitioner of NLP, (Neuro Linguistic Programming), he has also co-authored a series of 9 books, which stimulate and service the growing demand for information in the area of lifestyle and well-being.
some of his more recent presentations include:
- 2015 Closing Keynote at the HOTD conference in Brisbane Australia
- 2014 Invited to be one of 5 International judges for the International Landscape Photographer of the Year Awards
- 2014 Invited to present at the Nikon AIPP event Gold Coast Australia
- 2013 Invited to speak at the Australian High Commission in Wellington NZ
- 2013 Speaker at APSCON conference Bunbury
- 2013 Speaker at IDEA conference Melbourne
- 2012 Opening Keynote Speaker at PMA conference Melbourne
- Master of Ceremonies at the Annual Awards Dinner for the Australian Professional Photography Awards 2002 to 2014
- Master of ceremonies for ‘The Nikon AIPP Event’ , Australia 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
- WPPI presenter/judge 2007 to 2011 in Las Vegas USA
- Keynote Speaker at Light Pro 2009 in Florida USA
- MC and Keynote Speaker Fujifilm Professional Conference, Australia 2009
- PMA Australian Awards 2008
- Keynote speaker at the DWF conference Florida, USA 2008